Welcome to Mrs. Keeton's Study Zone!!!
(No Hard Hat Required!)
With our program Texas ScienceFusion, we are studying weathering, erosion, and other process that change Earth’s surface. We are also exploring ancient Earth and fossils. Our unit of study focuses on these Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), Big Ideas and Essential Questions.
Unit 7 Changes to Earth’s Surface
Big Idea: Earth’s surface is constantly changing. Fossils help us understand Earth’s history.
Weathering – erosion – deposition - sedimentary rock –fossil –mold – cast - fossil fuel - index fossil
Essential Questions (for exploring the Big Idea)
• What are processes that shape Earth’s surface?
• How does water change Earth’s surface?
• What are fossils?
• What was ancient Earth like?
• How can scientists use fossils?
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS)
(7) Earth and space. The student knows Earth's surface is constantly changing and consists of useful resources. The student is expected to:
(A) explore the processes that led to the formation of sedimentary rocks and fossil fuels;
(B) recognize how landforms such as deltas, canyons, and sand dunes are the result of changes to Earth's surface by wind, water, and ice;
(D) identify fossils as evidence of past living organisms and the nature of the environments at the time using models.
To stay up-to-date with our progress, ask about what’s happening in science class often. Talk about and use the unit’s vocabulary words whenever you can.
To reinforce what we’re doing, try this activity with your child.
Your child is learning about changes in Earth’s surface. Become a local change “expert.”
• Together, do print and digital research to find out about changes in your region.
• Travel books and tourism websites about your state may contain information about landforms that developed from
slow changes, such as weathering and erosion.
• If possible, visit places where observable changes have taken place. Talk about how the land might have looked
before the change.
• Share what you have learned with the whole family!
2017 - 2018 Bell Schedule
7:40 1st Bell
7:50 Tardy Bell
7:55 - 8:55 Intervention
9:00 - 10:00 Specials
10:05 - 11:05 First class
11:10 - 12:10 Second class
12:10 - 12:30 DEAR Time
12:30 - 1:00 Lunch
1:00 - 1:20 Recess
1:20 - 2:20 Third class
2:25 3:25 Fourth class